In 2015, I decided to list noteworthy books I’d read by topic and write a brief description so readers could decide if the book appeared worthwhile. When appropriate I included a link to a book review link and a link to the book on Amazon. The Amazon link is an affiliate link, which means I receive a few pennies if the book is purchased, via the link. That is my only compensation, I am not paid to endorse any of these books. The list is books I’ve read and decided to pass along. All of the books on my reading lists garner a 4 or 5 out of 5 stars in my opinion. For a more complete look at what I read, visit my GoodReads page. Whenever I remember, I add my books to that page.
About This Site
Although this site began as a repository for American history stories, over time it essentially became a 'brain dump.' For more than a year, I've used the site to work through my beliefs and opinions in this post-truth era of political illiteracy.
- Tea Party Speaker Touts ‘Schools Are Liberal And Evil’ Message In My Conservative, Rural Town
- ‘Appalachia’ By Catte Is A Perfect Antidote For ‘Hillbilly Elegy’
- ‘Evicted’ Describes What It’s Like To Be Poor, Vulnerable
- Heroin(e) Tells Story Of Three Outliers Making A Difference In Opioid Epidemic
- ‘Get A Job’ A Familiar Phrase Of The Politically Lazy
- So A Drop In Farm Land Values Nets 14 Percent Increase In My Property Tax Bill?
- ‘Godfather Of Modern Popular Gay Fiction’ Graduated From My Local, Rural High School
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
“Many an American community has had its unity disrupted by the strategy of political or religious ideologies, some claiming to be sole repositories of truth.” (The Small Community, Arthur Morgan, 1942)
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Vintage Board Games That Sell For More Than $100
- How Much Are 3M Bookshelf Games Worth?
- Rare 3M Bookshelf Game Sells for $725
- Beaty brothers, captured Union soldiers, starved to death as POWs
- 'Instructions Not Included' Embraces Life's Greatest Fears
- Virginia Colony Boldly Embraces All Forms Of Inequality
- Quakers And Their Beliefs On Sex, Money, And Fun
- Peter Claywell: The Life Of An Indentured Servant In The Virginia Colony
- Mark Twain On The Hypocrisy Of Prayer
- Hot Dogs and Diplomacy — Relish The Legacy!Today’s post comes from Emily Rollman, summer intern in the Office of Public and Media Communications. Hot dogs have been a staple of American cuisine since they were first introduced by German immigrants in the 19th century. Now the dish is synonymous with cookouts and baseball games—but the humble hot dog has also made appearances … Continue reading Hot D […]