If you want to dabble in your family roots, Ancestry is offering free access between now and December 29th. Get your feet wet by starting with yourself and fill in the people you know and then let Ancestry help do their magic by finding you all sorts of records for your relatives!
About This Site
Although this site began as a repository for American history stories, over time it essentially became a 'brain dump.' For more than a year, I've used the site to work through my beliefs and opinions in this post-truth era of political illiteracy.
- Tea Party Speaker Touts ‘Schools Are Liberal And Evil’ Message In My Conservative, Rural Town
- ‘Appalachia’ By Catte Is A Perfect Antidote For ‘Hillbilly Elegy’
- ‘Evicted’ Describes What It’s Like To Be Poor, Vulnerable
- Heroin(e) Tells Story Of Three Outliers Making A Difference In Opioid Epidemic
- ‘Get A Job’ A Familiar Phrase Of The Politically Lazy
- So A Drop In Farm Land Values Nets 14 Percent Increase In My Property Tax Bill?
- ‘Godfather Of Modern Popular Gay Fiction’ Graduated From My Local, Rural High School
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
“Many an American community has had its unity disrupted by the strategy of political or religious ideologies, some claiming to be sole repositories of truth.” (The Small Community, Arthur Morgan, 1942)
Top Posts & Pages
- Separating Children From Parents In Current Border Crisis Needs To End
- Risk board games increase in value with alternate versions
- Claywell In-Laws Shed Light On 19th Century Clan
- Mary (Hull) Beaty Pays Unbearable Price During Civil War
- Rare 3M Bookshelf Game Sells for $725
- Quakers And Their Beliefs On Sex, Money, And Fun
- How a poor managerial decision blew up a space shuttle
- Broker board game from 60s lets you manipulate stock market (Photo)
- Seven Patents to Delight Your Steampunk FriendsToday’s post comes from Brooke Engerman, summer intern with the Office of Public and Media Communications. The steampunk movement is most associated with a definitive style of fashion and design which incorporates aspects of Victorian fashion accessorized with industrial materials. Most steampunk-inspired pieces—be it costumes or objects—are fantastical in n […]